Thursday, September 06, 2007

it's hard waking at 5:30 a.m.
as usual, i've gone to sleep too late
pull on old sweats,
listening to hear
whether or not i'll need
a rain jacket.
throw one in the car (just in case).
i begin,
stiff and awkward,
joints and muscles resenting
having to move
before my mind
has even fully wakened.
i walk in the dark,
circling the track,
around and around.
old songs
rasping through
my earphones.
each lap
brings a smidgeon
more light into the world,
until
the night fully recedes
to make room
for one
more day...

4 comments:

alan said...

Beautiful imagery!

I can see you walking the sun up!

alan

puhpaul said...

I don't know how you guys can do that every day. I've been trying to get up early to walk the dogs, but I keep hitting the snooze button until it's too late.

paul

KellyNerd said...

wow, you have some drive!

jl said...

:) not really. it's just that if i put it off until later in the day, i'd never get any exercise...