Wednesday, April 16, 2008

ah...decisions, decisions, decisions...

i said a while ago that i would not allow fear and trepidation to hold me back from living the kind of life i want to lead....and i'm not leading that life...so i've made a decision to make a serious change. i'm going to move. i will be giving up a great job, but i what i'm giving up to be here outweighs the rewards of my work. and i may have to take a loss on my house...but that will be the price i'm willing to pay for for i want to do...

a friend asked me last week-end if i'd consider moving. i said yes, but not for a few years yet. but i've been saying that for a long time...for ten years, in fact....it has become too easy to stay where i am, to hold on to the familiar and the secure. i think really that i was afraid to make a change and then regret the decision. i am still a little afraid, but i will survive...i always do...

it won't happen quite yet...but it will happen. i don't even know where i will go yet, but i've no great worries about that. i will have options.

in the meantime, there is paris...and the marking i have to finish tonight... :)

4 comments:

alan said...

I just wrote a comment that failed to appear; I don't know if it's floating somewhere or gone for good, so I'm going to attempt to recap and if it ends up on here twice I'll delete this one...

I, too have been facing some changes. A year ago I was telling people I worked with I couldn't afford to leave, I was too deep in debt, and that I'd be working 10 more years until my wife and I could both draw Social Security along with my retirement.

That was before a year of 10 hour days and one day weekends. Before I watched the wheels come off many aspects of not only my life, but my psyche as well.

Now that the opportunity has presented itself to take my 30 and go, I can't get out the door soon enough!

Yes, I'll still be working, I won't be making as much, and odds are I won't have as "good" a job. I will have hours that let me see much more of my wife and hopefully my family while I am still able to enjoy them!

It's scary, but for me at least, the alternative is even more so!

My opening the first time I wrote this was that I could hear a voice saying "you'll always have Paris"! Probably dating myself badly...

Tonight on "Marketplace" on public radio they were speaking of how awful the exchange rate is between the dollar and the euro, and asked someone how to maximize it; they said if you are going to Paris and you are going to shop, hit the street markets and not the shops...

May Paris be everything either of us has ever dreamed of!

alan

jl said...

alan - i know it will be. thanks for you words of support. you're right - it's about valuing what is really important to each of us in life, and acting accordingly...
j.

Unknown said...

Yup your right, 10 yrs is a long time to say "in a couple of years" I know cuz Ive asked you the question several times myself, knowing you were not happy where you are, all I can say is Hallelulah!!!!

prin said...

Yey! I'll send courage vibes too...

couragecouragecourage :D